Monday, December 30, 2019

Finishing the year sewing

I truly have enjoyed having time to sit and time to sew during this winter/ holiday/Christmas break.  I don't always get as much done as I would like, but I have been plugging away at projects in stages.

First I have the top completed for my nephew and his wife. The shower my sister is giving is in 3 weeks.  I love how the colors of teal, lime, and light blue and green have come together. Such a pretty soothing combination and such interesting fabrics.  Today I found a wonderful smooth teal minky to back it.  I think I will try to roll the back into binding.


Here are the wonderful fabrics up close. Colors never show up well for me.


I have also been completing color after color of cutting and sewing for Frolic, Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. The first 3 clues went together fairly quickly. Step 4 has been a bugger of colors and sizes and sheer numbers. But it is now all cut, and only needs the finishing seams for half square triangles and then trimming. These are the sets that are completed.


These are the sets that are cut, but need to be sewn.


 And I have all the background cut for step 5. I needed to add some more pinks to my stash.  This is not a color I particularly like or even use much. But it makes this quilt so cheerful.

My method is to double the measurement of unfinished square for half square triangles, say 2 7/8 inches and cut it into a square: 2 times 2 7/8 = square of 5 3/4 of both colors of fabrics. Then draw a diagonal form opposite corners making an X . Sew 1/4 inch from each drawn line. And then cut into squares and then on the drawn line. It makes 8 half square triangles each for this measurement 2 inches finished.

half-square-triangles-8-at-a-time

half-square-triangles-8-at-a-time-tutorial




I have also been completing color after color of cutting and sewing for Frolic, Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. The first 3 clues went together fairly quickly. Step 4 has been a bugger of colors and sizes and sheer numbers. But it is now all cut, and only needs the finishing seams for half square triangles and then trimming. And I have all the background cut for step 5. I needed to add some more pinks to my stash.  This is not a color I particularly like or even use much. But it makes this quilt so cheerful.


I have been working on my Christmas Star blocks. Many steps and precise sewing needed. But I am really happy with the finished block. For Bea and Cecile's Quilt along, I am making 20 of these blocks. I hope to enter it in my guild's quilt show at the end of March.

I need to make the candy bags I have so carefully been setting aside. I have M & Ms, Oreos, Toll House chocolate chips, and a couple more. They are of different sizes.  I want to get this going on my last two days home.


2 comments:

  1. sounds like Christmas vacation is almost over - I thought you were retired but you must still be teaching. I am saving Bonnie's clues this time and will possibly make it later

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby quilt is those colors is gorgeous! Love that color palette. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's Frolic parts, but am not participating at this time. Enjoy the rest of your break!

    ReplyDelete