Thursday, March 23, 2017

Blockheads 3

I am keeping up with the blockheads 6 inch block a week. This one was posted by Jo Morton. My fabric is Kansas Troubles stash. I saw Lisa Bongean's layout of the same block and used her color position as a guide, but substituted my own fabrics.

 And because each quarter square triangle block is one color, I subcut a 3 and 1/4 inch square diagonally into fourths and then just pieced them.

I wish I could say I was getting a lot done on quilting... a  foldover binding on a small quilt, a couple seams for an eye spy quilt.  Little bits done, but no real hedge on the progress. And my lovely log cabin has been sitting for a couple weeks.  

This is partly because my sewing machine, my baby of 32 years, is still in maintenance. I am awaiting our reunion  any day now and depend on it for for some things. The replacement is o.k. and does the basics, even the blanket stitch I so purchased it before, but I just don't like it as well. I guess we just need more time together. 

But the weekend is coming!  And there is a quilt show in Sun Prairie, WI,  to go to on Sunday. 

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Charity quilt and Spring

First the donation quilt... the fabrics were donated by a local quilt shop. They had a die cut for the extra large tumbler. All I had to do was randomly sew them in rows and then lay them out. Followed by some rearranging and frog stitch : rip it, rip it, rip it. Wanted to get the colors spread out.

Next I need to see the rows together , slice it, and the sew edges together to make it rectangular. Somewhere I have a red white and blue print for the border.

Next up...  bunnies chicks.

It was decide my HB and I would visit my mom for Easter.  I can't even remember the last Easter we were together. Even when we both taught prior to my kids, our breaks were never the same week. And although Canada may not be beach worthy, it will be good to see her. Her memory is declining, rapidly.

So I was browsing Pinterest for Easter ideas. I saw the 30s bunnies book and remembered I have it from many, many moons ago; copyright 2002.  After a mad search I even found it. Mom was born in the 30s and her bedroom was painted with a border of bunnies by my creative grandmother. I had always intended making it for her as these reminded me of them.

So I dug out my bag is 30s prints, found several small prints and appliqued the bunnies on white squares. I even was able to use the blanket stitch on my almost new/used sewing machine. (My tried and true is still in for a tune up. Boy, so I miss her.)

Voila, blocks almost finished...just the eyes  and a few face details. Next step..... not sure.  A table runner? Wall hanging?   Some pieced work around them, maybe framed first and then patchwork. Maybe even connector blocks. Still "hatching" the idea.

I know, the one bunny looks like he is out to get you,  But he just needs some TLC, of the sewing variety.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Worldwide quilting day

Hope you all had some time to quilt/sew today?

I had time this morning prior to my grandkids coming for most of the day.
Between last night and this morning I was able complete 5 more red blocks for the rainbow scrap challenge. (Total 9 red)

I am using thangles for the inch and a half blocks, and trim  the large ones cut from 4 inch squares.
Accurate quarter inch seams is crucial. I can tell right away if the seam allowance -at the spot where the 2 diagonal meets - if they aren't the same size. 
I also make sure the opposing diagonals meet tightly.
Progress!  These were pressed following the photo op. 

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Blockheads unite

Blockhead number 2  Aunt Dinah. Created by Betsy Chutchian of  These are small: 6 and a half inches, but Betsy's instructions are well written with lots of tricks and photos. Starching the fabric did help to assemble it better. Again, seam allowance is key.  
  See Betsy's blog as she is even making a mini to go with each block. So cute!
My block is in Kansas Troubles fabrics.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Fully finished and more

I am happy to say I have my County En Provence quilt completed.  Ahhh, The Thrill!

But other small projects to report:

And I have now become  a Blockhead:  or at least I am following the Blockhead pattern from 5 designers; Jan Patek, Lisa Bongean, Betsy Chutchian, Lynne Hagmeier and Carrie Nelson. Here is my sample of this week's block which was posted on Wednesday is:

My Rainbow Scrap challenge blocks: 4 more, this time red.  And sometimes those pinwheels are indeed a challenge. And  I now have 20 blocks total.  And at the same time, I have always made 2 extra large half square triangles of each color to go as borders.

Another small finish:  A courthouse step block made into small table topper.  Prior to Christmas I finished this runner here.  The original pattern on All People Quilt called for 5 blocks, which made an incredibly long runner. So I finished it with 4 blocks instead, having a leftover.  And now the leftover will also go to my brother on his birthday this summer which is prior to the 4th of July.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Country En Provence

Here is the large photo of my country colored En Provence.  

And here you can see the back, binding and some of the quilting with a close up. 

Here is the beautiful stitching done by my longarm quilter.

Celebration!  And it will be given away today to the wonderful electrician who installed our new ceiling fan. He is also my daughter's boyfriend, and an awesome guy!