Thursday, April 28, 2022

Healing Hearts quilt.

 It is the time of year that I finish my donation quilt for Healing Hearts.  Healing Hearts is a support program for families with grief and I began this past year being a facilitator with my husband who has done it for several years. We work with different age levels with weekly meetings where parents and kids are separate. And this year after the tragic parade here in Waukesha, the organization has been called on for many small group events. 

There is a big fund raiser next month and this is the 3rd year I have made a quilt. 

I found this wonderful quilt and pattern at a quilt show this year. Two big Waahoos!

This is where I left it last week.  So now I  have been working  on the quilting. The background is showing up tan in the photo but is actually the back of a gray grunge. The white spots took away from the rest of the colors. 


I found this great print for an extra wide back the dots are about an inch each.
It was at Missouri Star Quilting. 




And while I did a lot of stitch in the ditch for the pieced star, I had these large corners that I wanted to do something special.  I also had a variegated thread that I hope will show up.

I toyed with different methods of transfer from my quilting design books.  First I used Golden Threads papers and punched the design with a dull needle for multiple layers. But the paper was to brittle. Then I tried Pounce which worked well as the white chalk on the gray, but it wore off quickly.  So then I just used the Frixion pen and traced the dots of the design through the Golden Threads paper.  Success. 


Here is the 48 inch quilt finished.  The motifs are in the center and the 4 corners with some framing around them.


And the back looks great with it.  The binding is of the same polka dot print. 


Ta Da!!

3 comments:

  1. well that is a neat looking quilt - someone will love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt turned out really well. Love the bright colors and the polka dots too. Great job. I hope it brings a lot of money for the group. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! Your quilting really finished it in style. Great finish for such a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete