Sunday, February 21, 2021

A little of this and a little of that

It has been a much more productive week. We quilters in Wisconsin had it cold and snow.  But that is a repeat of our usual conditions.  I think we have 2 feet of compacted accumulated snow. 

But I feel so badly for those in areas that were frozen and had the surprising arrival of snow and now the thaw. My son in Louisiana had ice and it impacted electricity and water for him for several days.  I know many other states are equally reeling from the rolling blackouts and travel conditions. 

But it is business as usual here. And I actually accomplished quite a bit. 
Here are my quarter square triangles early in the week.  I now have 60 completed along with a border set and fabrics all organized. 

Start with normal half square triangles. Draw line, sew quarter inch seams on both sides, cut and press.
Then turn one on top of the other  butting the seam together.  ( hence the pin in the center) .
And repeat: draw center line, sew on both sides, cut and press. 


All that is left is the trimming.  This is the method I have followed since I saw it in a Fons and Porter magazine many moons ago. 
I made 5 pairs at a time ending up with 10 quarter square blocks.


But I really was excited to get several small cleaning things done. My threads are organized and moved to a location further than my left side.  I cleaned my machine, changed the needle and even changed my cutting blade.  What a difference! 

I quilted my snowflakes in wool and have the binding on, but need to hand sew it today. Size is 26 inches square
Here is the back, a sparkly spotted fabric originally purchased for my son's graduation that we never had a party for. Lots left over 


And here is the front quilted. 


Lastly I started on the wool applique for a spring quilt.  I originally was going to do this for a stay at home round robin.  I am still going with that plan, just on my own time schedule. The background is pieced from a yellow and peach assortment of prints from a layer bar of Sugarcreek. 


 

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, it sounds freezing there. Your country has been blasted with horrible weather. But, on a happier note, your little squares are great. That is a fabulous method to construct half square triangles. Your son's graduation quilt is a beauty and your wool applique quilt is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the snow is melting and melting here, fast - the nine inches that was on top of the table outside is just about gone! I hope your weather will warm up a little - your squares look good

    ReplyDelete