Sunday, January 15, 2017

Progress on projects

I got many things accomplished!  I even cleaned off my cutting table which had been mounded with luscious colors for my Log Cabin quilt along.  In the process I even found some extra strips.

Plus I got a little more of En Provence together:  4 blocks and sashings strips. This is what it will look like. Just 5 more blocks to go. I am going to make it 3 by 3.




But the purpose had been to have a flat area to cut out curtains for my daughter in law.
I was able to make a valence and a set of curtains for her kitchen. These are a great teal, blues, and brown or a cream background.


She and I and the 2 grandsons picked out the fabric over Christmas vacation. Decorator fabric was on sale and I had a coupon for an additional 15 dollars off.

The project went quickly with this gadget, which also has straight lines on the back. I don't like to buy gadgets only to leave them in a drawer. But this one is a life saver!  All I had to do was press the fabric up to the line and iron. Roll again for the hem  which was a 3 inch double rolled one. or the top which was 1 and 1/2 inch casing. The sides were just double rolled. Top stitch and then done. I was able to do both in an hour and a half... Done.



Lastly, I decided to work on finishing a UFO, and my hexie project for next month.  I had seen the table topper in a magazine and the pattern is on All People Quilt.  But I found my own clip art images and made a hexagon to fit a charm pack. the fabric is an old Sandy Gervais fall line. The embroidery was completed the last 2 summers on a car trip with a small outline stitch and 2 pieces of embroidery floss.

I traced around my paper pattern either with a fine mechanical pencil, Frixon pen or a white chalk pencil for the sewing line depending on the color on the back of the fabric..  I then cut the quarter inch seam allowance.  Great project in front of the Packer game.  Another win!  Go Pack Go!




Then I machine stitched each line together, pinning carefully at each corner and back stitching both at the beginning and end of each seam. It is like a Y seam. But the marking lines were so helpful as was the consistent seam allowance.

 Photos at night don't do the rich chocolate brown, warm butter yellow, or rust justice. Oh, I can tell some moved on the transfer from living room to sewing machine. It will just have to stay. On the back I pressed my seams open.  Now for a flannel layer instead of batting and a backing. I will turn under the quarter inch hem.





2 comments:

  1. Your En Provence blocks are beautiful. The blues and teals just glow. Your fall hexies are so cute! Love your embroidery. I haven't tried hexies... yet. I keep being tempted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your En Provence color choices, so rich and warm. I have one of those Dritz hemmers but have not used it for years. Good thing to remember I have :0 The hexies are lovely with the bit of embroidery. Do you sew through your papers or not?

    ReplyDelete