Monday, May 10, 2021

And another UFO

 Five years ago I drafted the block out to make these 6 inch heart log cabins all out of 30s reproduction fabrics. Here is the link to the Blog post describing the process and showing the block on graph paper for this if you are interested. The log size is 1 1/4 inch.


Then I  year later, I dropped the original quilt design and got it to this stage. 
5 rows each of 10 pieced hearts. It was originally intended for my Mom who was born in 1931. 



Additionally, I had started string strips for inserting between the rows. 
And that is where it got stuck until last night.

As I am on a roll for finishing things, I decided it wouldn't be too much work to finish this. 
So I got out my with the assembled parts and roughly drew out the design to figure out the finished measurements. From there I ordered border fabric rather than piece or applique or whatever.  I found a long remnant of the white to outline the design after it is pieced. I already have had the backing stored. 

So today I spent many relaxing hours continuing to piece the strips. The goal just kept me going. 

Here is the work station with the assortment of strips from the stored bag.  I cut some additional colors  from my 30s stash. ( Debating whether to donate the remnants after this quilt is done.  I think I have had my fill of 30s quilts. )

Here was the status of the partially assembled rows and no, they were not trimmed


And here is the organization for the remaining rows to complete.   My goal was to have an assortment of fabrics in each row. I assembled in sections as I cut some fabrics. 


Toot sweet:    6 rows completed and trimmed 5 inches wide by 85 1/2 inches long. 
Today's mission accomplished.


1 comment: