Friday, February 2, 2024

A new month: a new finish

 I AM SO EXCITED!  I have an almost finished  project that I have been working on for many years. It has had several spurts and lots of sputters. 

I have this pattern from a very old book from Primitive Gatherings when it was at different location.  They had 3 seasonal books Christmas, Spring and my favorite fall.   I have actually made at least 3 different patterns from this book and some of them multiples of the same project.  Copyright 2009.

 I love fall: the colors, the leaves, and the feel of the golden sun.  Oh, caramel apples and apple cider are awesome, too. 

The first hurdle was piecing these tiny half square triangles. I made a variety of fall colors. I don't even know what technique I used. Remember this is long before triangle paper. 

The next step was to assemble the trees.   Another delay. Long break of time when I couldn't even find the book and got a copy of the pattern from the store at its previous location. And then I needed to assemble the setting triangles,  with the border of more half square triangles.  Again not an easy task.  

And as I was looking through my stash of book, lo and behold the book was found. The difference is not having a flat spine, Then I added the setting triangles and borders on a retreat and I was so happy. 

Little trees October 2022



I started quilting in the ditch which was easy with invisible thread.  And I decided to free motion feather the outer border.  I  ran out of thread.   Ughhh.  Alas, a different day, another stab at the feathers.  If you are willing to attempt them, there are several videos on YouTube. Free motion feathers 4 ways ,  Angela Walters instruction: More free motion feathers with suggestions I watched them over and over. And I also drew them on paper page after page to get the muscle memory and that helped tremendously. 

So I asked for advice on what to do in the the setting triangles and squares.  It was suggested to do the feathers in the round/ circle. I spent lots of time researching and practicing. Here is a site I really felt helped a lot: Feathers in a wreath

And yesterday,  I spent all of this afternoon getting it accomplished.  Several frogged attempts and remarking.  But DONE! 


Then I trimmed the outer edges and attached the binding and rod pocket.  Now for the final hand stitching.

I can't tell you how this has sat beside me for months, waiting to be finished. It is such a joy to have the hard work out of the way. 

I really don't know how many years this has been hanging around, and luckily I did keep the pieces and the main fabrics together. 

4 comments:

  1. I have always been tempted to do the Little Trees pattern and have never done so - one day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feathers are beautiful!! They really set off the fall trees and make for a gorgeous quilt. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is beautiful! The feather motif is perfect in the large setting squares. Are you going to hang it now or wait until autumn? Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Congratulations on a wonderful finish! I love your feathers and feathered wreaths! Isn't it awesome to have a finished UFO instead of just feeling guilty for not getting it done? Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete