Sunday, December 31, 2023

End of the year RECAP

 2023 has been quite a year for me. 

The biggest impact this year has been the traveling to visit either my mother and her husband in Canada or my daughter in law in Louisiana.  Both are miles and miles away. And both have been due to health issues. 

In Canada my "stepfather" had a breathing issue and COPD that turned into needing a pacemaker and 4 months rehabilitation. Unable to gain his independence back, he then chose to go to a nursing home this fall. It is so difficult to watch and understand the process. And then we moved Mom to be nearer to us in the US. 

Secondly, my daughter in law received a double transplant of kidney and pancreas Memorial Day weekend. And that didn't go well. Pancreas removed after week and then after months of very minimal improvement, her body began to reject the kidney this fall. I did take care of the boys for June and July. We travel to see them this weekend.

Family is everything, and their issues impact us even when we don't travel. But we love them no matter what. And I treasure each one of them and my time with them.

But I did sew this year and that is why I blog: to record the process I so enjoy. According to my own spreadsheet, I have finished 14 projects this year. 

Several small wallhangings,   3 baby quilts, and a partridge in a pear tree.

No not really, I don't think I want any birds. 

But several major quilts  or rather quilt tops completed: 

My beautiful Ocean Waves:   which is Totally finished!


    The rest of these are tops which have all been major projects: 

Over the River ( only 7 years in production and quilting left to redo)

Quilted by now border is frogged.



Sewcialites 2  a block of the week from Fat Quarter Shop started in October of 2022 in Christmas colors, also at the quilters,    This is 100 inches square made of 9 inch blocks


 Merry Merry Snowmen , at the quilters,  Wool snowmen on cotton fabrics and lots of machine applique details with embroidery embellishments. Buttons to be added upon quilting for eyes, tips of hats, hearts, etc. Bunny Hill pattern


9 patch:   needing the pieced border and outer border attached. All those little squares are 1 inch big, or should I say "little".  This was originally an  American Patchwork and Quilting pattern modified sashing placed instead for borders. The inspiration was from Gretchen"s Little Corner. 


That leaves several already on the Spreadsheet for the new year. 

Big plans ahead and a New Year ready to map out!  

ONWARD!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have your quilting to relax with and I hope your daughter in law can get new transplant it must be scary for her and the family I'm sure - glad your mom is now close to you - hope next year is better than this one was

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been some extreme health issues in your family this year. It's nice though your mother lives closer to you now. Your 9 patch quilt is looking good, you should get it finished in '24. Blessings and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete