Thursday, January 4, 2024

Planning for the new year

 January always brings a flurry of activity AFTER the bustle of the busy Christmas season  and this year's trip to see the grandboys. And this year will be no different. 

I ONLY have 3 new projects to get started on: 

1) Corinne et Cecile  Quilt Along (A  French online group on facebook) Here is the announcement for the new year's theme:   Corrinne et Cecile Quilt along    The theme is   ANIMALS.    Yes! , I found a pattern to do a crazy quilt with little cats in corners. This will be for my grandson.  8 weeks of blocks, and then assembly and quilting by May 1. 

I have  participated in several of their quilt alongs each January : 1) stars ( in process of quilting), 2) flowers, 3) circles/curves which is still not pieced as I had started a New York Beauty,  4) 9 patch which was my first and favorite and 5) applique and piecing which is my Christmas gnome quilt I just finished from this 2022.  So this will be my 6th year WOW! 

2) Fatcat Designs of a beautiful filigree kind of applique. I just got the pattern and am still choosing colors.  A friend of mine was working on it at retreat, and I fell in love with it.  It is a free pattern called Southern Gentlemen.  Email Sindy at sindy@fatcatpatterns.com if you are interested in the pattern. There is also a closed group on facebook to see the incredible different colors and blocks. 

I bought a gorgeous pale blue background for it and need to assemble some batiks to go with it. 

This is a photo of block 1 in black and white

3)  And I fell in love with Crinkly Quilts latest quilt which is version of a wedding ring quilt that I saw on instagram. She is hosting a sew along and I have already received her pattern and templates.  I had a 3 yard quilt backing that did not match a recent quilt just sitting. So I found some grunge bright fabrics to add to it. 

There is a scrappy version that I will be making from THESE fabric:


And I really want to take a cue from Maggie Fellows at Making a Lather who this year made of goal of only working on UFOs and picked 5 each month to work on a little at a time.  Wow,  did she make a dent completing I think 30 quilts this year.  So impressed with her dedication and focus as well as her finishes. 


Need more inspiration.....                            Always being tempted by the many projects you do!



3 comments:

  1. I would totally freak out if I had 30 UFO's I don't think I have ever had more than 8 going

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love all your new starts, especially the peek-a-boo cats. This is a great idea for the Animal QAL theme. I always love the quilts I see made with Fat Cat Patterns. Looking forward to seeing yours. The quilt ring pattern looks like fun. I confess I must have at least 30 UFOs in my closet counting my quilt and cross stitch projects. I also have a stack of quilt tops to quilt. I always admire the work of those who "get 'em done." Thanks for sharing on my linky party. Hugs & Stitches ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have some really fun new quilts planned for 2024, and I wish you a lot of quilting fun and joy throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete