Thursday, January 25, 2024

Valentines Day is coming!

 Since Mom has moved to Indianapolis/Carmel last fall, I have made a goal of making a wall hanging either for Mom's door to her room or her room.  It was the least thing I could do from a distance using my skills. I have made so many things over the years for her. I have done 3 mini wall hangings already: her birthday cake, a Christmas tree and then an embroidered snowman with wording for January.

So now I have finished a cute Valentine one and made a spare for my sister who lives close to Mom.  I thought I would do something for her since she does so much for Mom. 

The newest edition of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine had a pattern for one.  I felt it was perfect for this situation but reduced the blocks from 3 inch to 2 inch making my wall hanging 16 inches square.  I had a good time digging through my assorted reds and white prints with red to make it. 

Here was the webbing of rows:


And here are the finished quilts.  The lighting makes them look dingy, but you can see in the photo above that they are in did crayon red and bright white with a lovely light coral for the lettering.
The quilting was done in red, because I ran out of white thread.  Oh no!



In between sewing, I am starting to clean and organize some of my supplies.  Today, I cleaned behind my cutting table. My scrap basket is overflowing. That despite just using up a lot of it in my 9 patch wonder. Today I sorted through my patterns and filled a plastic shopping bag to donate to the guild's quilt show in March. I have been slowly going through my pile of magazines. My how much we accumulate over the years. 

In addition, I have been sorting a few UFO's and trying to get them moving along to a finish. 

I added the borders to this quilt top. I had made the blocks 2 years ago from small packets of fabric and instructions from a quilt store at 2 dollars a block. I had found them at a rummage table of a quilt show. I purchased the setting blocks and borders to go with them. I love the reproduction colors. 


Now to  assemble the layers and quilt it.  I even found a stencil for the between/setting  blocks
( So much for starting new projects; this feels good to get things done. )


1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling lucky....I get to be the first person to make a comment. Love the red valentine you made for your Mother's Room. She will too. Turning a UFO into a completed project is always exciting. It turned out great. Good luck with the organizing and thinning out of supplies. I've started the same, but..........as much progress as I made with my recent donating 41.5 pounds of yarn, there's still plenty of stuff to go through.

    ReplyDelete