Sunday, June 23, 2024

Entering the state fair

 What a tale to tell.  I was so excited to enter my winning quilt in the Wisconsin State Fair.  Paper work; check, quilt flattened; check, quilt in car and delivered; check.  REJECTED:   I don't know what happened to the rod pocket.  Oh no!   Seriously, I don't recall it at all.  I did enter it in our quilt show this spring. It must have been pinned????  But it is no longer there.  Three of us searched around and around the edges.

So I returned home and got my other quilt out from the quilt show that got a blue ribbon.  Both qualified for the same category in this show as the requirements change from show to show. ACCEPTED.  Hooray.   


.   

What a nut I am.  So if they will accept it next year, I will enter it.  Otherwise, there are always quilts in the works. ( And I will SEW a rod pocket on.)

So next week is judging:  we will see how well it does???

On the sewing side: 

I pieced the remaining red white and blue blocks into a square topper. I need some basting spray to finish these.  I have located backing fabrics for both sizes in my stash.

On the needlework side: 

I purchased 2 sashiko kits in Hawaii this spring. And I thought I needed the special thimble which goes on your finger at the edge of your palm, which I then searched videos and etsy for one. But the first block is a preprinted panel with variegated thread to stitch. It is a thicker thread and a larger needle, but the design is going quickly and is very pretty. This is one evenings work.

7 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you had a backup quilt to enter at the fair then. Don't delay, get the sleeve attached to the other quilt now! Your sashiko stitches look so even, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a special thimble for sashiko or Hawaiian quilting - I think it is just that some want you to purchase more. Sorry about the quilt not qualifying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your finished quilts are gorgeous! Oh my, such amazing piecing. How unfortunate your first beauty couldn't be entered. Those red and blue fabrics in the square topper look striking, and your Sashiko stitching is coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous sashiko stitching! I’m glad at least one of your quilts made it into the show! I need to put sleeves on some of my quilts too. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you were able to make a switch to enter the fair. I wish you the best . Both quilts are beauties! Have a very lovely week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the sort of stitching I like to do, thicker threads stitch so much faster. Which reminds me, I have a kit too from Hawaii, purchased eons ago, wonder where it is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy you could enter an alternate quilt. I don’t like to put on hanging sleeves. I keep a sleeve ready to sew on and sew it on only if I enter it in a show. Hope you win a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete