Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Mini 25 patch


Many years ago, I bought the first Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine and had a subscription for a year or so. In this first issue was this wall hanging designed by Lisa Bongean. I loved it, and made three different versions : one for me, one for my mother in 30s reproduction fabrics and one in blues and pinks for my mother in law. ( Her living room was in these colors and I had leftover fabrics from projects I had made in the 80s.  Here is the finished one for my mother in law which has been given back to me after her passing this spring.



But I loved the feathers that were quilted in the original and wanted to do those on mine.  I have so pined for these and even purchased an online class to learn how to quilt them.  And it has been sitting as a pinned top for all these years.

So I am working on my "box of shame" as Ramona at Doodlebugs and Rosebuds expressed a couple weeks ago. She has finished several of hers. I need to do the same. ( I also received my marching orders for back to school inservice in 2 weeks. Oh, my. I think I am complaining as badly as some of the kids to go back to school. 


Anyway I have been working on quilting it.  Here are some of the colors and outside edge. 
Each tiny square is 3/4 of an inch. 




Here is the tiny stippling of the wool applique blocks. These were buttonhole stitch by hand.



And here is my machine using the Westalee foot and Sew Steady rulers.  I have not had as much success as I would have liked. The issue is that  the layers are not flat...I should have repressed it an relayered it.   So with the tiny patches, even a straight line wobbles. 

Done will be better than perfect. 


I do have another quilt finished.  Just need to photograph it. AND get the label on it for my grandson.

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful little quilts! And as you have said, we are our own worse critics. The fact that you quilted it is most important. And the more we practice, the better we become.

    ReplyDelete