Sunday, August 26, 2018

Over the river

This is my second panel for the Over the River pattern by Crabapple Hill.
Here is a link to see a finished quilt: Over the River and Through the Woods by Ruth McCormick who chose black prints similar to the pattern sample. 

Little by little, stitch by tiny stitch, I am slowly getting to the end.

It was started 2 years ago in July and took a full week just to trace it and baste the 2 layers together.
I pick it up here and there as I watch t v and don't have other bindings or projects to work on. It is also good for road trips.

My spouse and I saw this several years ago totally made into the quilt with beautiful fall colors.  He is the one who liked it so much.  And he has rarely made his preferences known in all the quilt stores I have gone into with him. He even suggested I abandon it when I showed him how long it was taking. What a guy!

The first panel is already finished; it was much more densely embroidered.  The last panel of the three is the words: "Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go". It should go quickly in comparison.

Here is the right side which is completed. ( part of the stone bridge is not shown. )
I am using a sepia brown Presencia size 16 pearl cotton.


And here is the left side which I need to keep plugging away .

And this is the part that I have finished in the past week. 


On a personal note, my little brother called me Friday from the hospital. He had a heart attack while in the cath lab. He works in IT at a hospital and wasn't feeling right and had gone down to the emergency ward. So they checked him in after some monitoring. We are lucky, very lucky. Had he not been in the hospital, he would have died...just like my father and grandfather. It is congenital and his blockage to the  artery had been building since the 90s. I am numb. 

6 comments:

  1. First my wish for your brother a quick recovery, as a heart attack survivor with a sad family background he is very lucky. Love your progress on Over the River, I am a big fan of Crab Apple Hill patterns it took me about two years to embroidery the Hocuspocusville blocks. I haven't even begun to trace the Over the river yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow talk about lucky working in a hospital and getting taking care of right away - so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. positive thoughts for your baby brother - and for you, too...

    Over the River will be worth all the effort, truly! you are gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful piece. Keep on plugging away with it. Some works of art take a long time to complete. I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I totally understand the numbness. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This embroidery is an ambitious project but I've seen the quilt before and it is so worth all the work. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stitching is beautiful. It's nice to have something slow and easy to work on in those rare down times. So sorry to hear about your brother. I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete