Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Seeing Mom

What a week it has been!

I grew up vacationing in Ontario, Canada on a lake in the Kawarthas. My Dad had a relative from the area and Dad had grown up there on vacations and the experience was passed down to me and then also to my kids. Dad had built a cottage on an island and it was a slice of heaven for me.

Fast forward time, my father passed away and his ashes are there.  Mom ends up marrying the guy next door and moved to Canada. We were happy for her. And both my siblings and our families have continued to travel every summer from the USA to visit them having wonderful food, boat rides and memories. For me it is 700 miles away; a long trip through three major cities: Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto.

Now, 25 years later she is still there with her husband and  they have aged with increasing health issues. In recent years their health has made it too difficult to travel south and see our families or even winter in Florida. And my daughter and I just returned from a visit.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Debbie Beckley Huber and Sarah Huber, people smiling, people sitting, outdoor and water

It is so difficult. My mom has Alzheimer's now and every trip reveals the increasing deterioration of what she used to be. And although I had accepted that she no longer was person I once knew, each trip is still a challenge to find new symptoms and issues for her as well as for him as he looks after her. Bless him for the wonderful care that he gives Mom.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and phone



Unfortunately, I have done no needlework or sewing since I left.

3 comments:

  1. it is sad as parent's age and then to be so far and not being able to help makes it worse doesn't it. I'm glad you got to visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your memories about Canada and the great people and place you visited there. I am sorry to hear about your mother and can truly sympathize. My mom is also struggling with memory loss. She was Superwoman! It is hard to see her quit driving and lose so much independence. I love her so much!

    ReplyDelete