Tuesday, April 23, 2019

March and now April

Gosh, it has been a month.   A busy one at that.

Fortunately in March, we had a beautiful family wedding to enjoy in Charleston.  Having a trip to escape winter was wonderful and a mighty respite for the snow and cold of Wisconsin. We loved the seafood: shrimp and grits, triggerfish, crabcakes and more.  Oh, just delicious.





We walked and walked through the downtown to see fabulous historical buildings and even took a carriage ride. We found a beach to walk our piggies through. I just love the sound of the waves and the horizon.  And we also toured a plantation: so beautiful and full of people recreating old "crafts". I, of course, loved the dying, spinning and weaving area.
        

                         


And I found a quilt store and purchased some fun spring colors for my upcoming hexie project.

Lastly, we toured the air craft carrier,  the Yorktown.  I read about it every year with my history students and it was a must see for my amateur historian spouse. But it was amazing to walk through it and go on deck. Inside were displayed several air planes and even a spacecraft from the 70's of the Apollo missions.  It is amazing to have the names of the crew and pilots on their air craft.

Other news that has been setting my back:  My mom who has Alzheimer's has been placed in a nursing home. Such hard news to take for someone so special. Oh, if only she weren't 700 miles away.

Secondly, I found out my son and his family are moving to Louisiana to be near to my daughter in law's family this summer. I am truly heartbroken. I have such a wonderful relationship with my grandsons and love them to the moon and back. I  am struggling with having them leave their home, school, and babysitter. Both parents have jobs here, but money is an issue. I will survive, but in the meantime, I cry.

I have several spits and starts on quilting and crafting over the last month.  ( I finished my long term embroidery and am trying to get something else going.)

 I tried cross stitch on linen.

I started cross stitch on punch paper.



And I can't seem to finish my projects hanging mid stride.

So I started piecing Wild and Goosey in blues. ( which is our theme for next year's quilt show.)











3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear your son and family well be moving away and so far - it isn't like you can just hop in the car and go see them - with us in Arkansas and our daughter in Wisconsin we went through the same thing - it was upsetting to be a long distance grandma but you can make it work!
    Your trip to Charleston sounds fun we went there about 5 years ago for a week and so enjoyed it, toured the city and plantations, walked on the beach - I bet going at the end of winter was better then May when we went it was starting to get a bit sticky from humidity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you. I have been adrift awhile, but always love seeing your progress on your quilting and projects. Inspiring!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you are back and busy! Having children so far away is difficult. My younger daughter lives in California. No grands yet, but we miss not seeing her and her husband more often. Charleston is one of my favorite places. I was just there a couple of months ago and visited the quilt shop. It's such a nice shop. Enjoy your crafting.

    ReplyDelete