Thursday, January 31, 2019

Record cold!

After having 2 snowstorms of 10 or so inches of snow each, the  polar vortex has descended upon us. I don't think I have ever had such cold temperatures. We have been at 20 -28 below zero with a wind chill from 50 to 60 below. I haven't even really checked the weather stations to see the record levels. But we haven't seen this cold since 1996.

And that means I have had 2 more days off school. So much for getting paid. And our internet, cable and phone were out for half of the day. What a day.

 But it does mean I have been home to do projects.  More sewing on the flannel side:
Image may contain: stripes


And several hours of hand embroidery.

Image may contain: text



And an afternoon of mending 2 pairs of pants, buttons on a jacket, pjs and  hems on pants. Not bad.
No photo description available.

And I had a great meal with my daughter who oven roasted vegetables in a balsamic vinaigrette with honey sauce,  Even my spouse ate the butternut squash. And we had homemade buttermilk biscuits to go with it, too.

Image may contain: food

4 comments:

  1. I have a recipe for sweet potato biscuits your mention of biscuits made me think of that - I need to find the recipe and make them - the temperatures here are finally getting better and will be in the 40's today and 30's tonight - then 60 for 4 days maybe even 70 one day - such crazy weather - I hope it warms up by the weekend for you like it said on the weather news last night

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wisconsin! My husband and I spent 1 1/2 yrs. there in 2013-14. There was a polar vortex that winter too but nothing like what you are experiencing now. The Bears paw blocks are really nice and did say you were making them out of flannel? That sounds warm. I remember one farmer telling me that when it was really cold he would get buckets of water and throw them up against the outside of his barn. The water would freeze instantly and fill in all the spaces so the wind couldn't get inside the barn. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flannel blocks are just gorgeous! They look so warm and inviting (an especial need with this frigid weather!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am from Illinois and we went to Door County often with our kids. As a kid we went on fishing trips up near Iron River.
    Great Bear Paw blocks.

    ReplyDelete