Monday, April 26, 2021

New finishes, new projects

First of all, this is on the wall in the front hall.     A UFO DONE! 
 And much as I love hexies and piecing them, this is made from yardage of different fabrics. 
The whole piece is comprised of 11 strips of different fabrics WOF.  
Then I trimmed it to a much narrower piece.  The only real piecing I did was to make the leaves and applique them. It all came in a kit from McCall's and included the pattern, fabrics, and the ribbon. 


Next is an ironing board cover. The photos are in reverse order.
Here is the finished board mounted on top of a normal ironing board. ( just set over the existing one)

This is the finished board on top showing the heat resistant fabric on top after completed.
This is the underside of the board.  Notice the raised pieces of wood framing a rectangle. 
The 3/8 inch board was cut 22 by 61 inches total. 
I had purchased the frame many years ago from a fellow quilter whose husband had made her one and then she took orders for others.


Here is a finished corner. You can sort of see the raised framing boards as well as the batting underneath the heat resistant fabric The boards are 2 and 1/4 inches from each side. 
Sorry, I don't have the directions to make it. 
We just had to cover it and did so with 1/4 inch staples. 


My husband was the handyman of the job.  I just followed a video on Youtube to know how to apply the batting. My job was to help stretch and hold the batting and fabric prior to his staples. 
We used 3 layers as it was fairly thin and then heat the resistant fabric.   
Two steps: First the batting was stapled down around the whole edge and I folded  hospital corners.
 Then we did the same thing with the silver fabric  only mitering the corners a little more.
The batting was a twin size and the fabric was 2 yards, trimmed at the end. 


Here is a better picture of the board standing on end. 


New Project: Stitched from the Heart
This is a free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop having 2 sizes 12 by 12 or 35 by 35.
There is also a video tutorial where 8 gradations of pink and white fabric was used with triangle on a roll paper. 
There is also a free cross stitch pattern to go with it. 

I am making this as my donation quilt for Hands2 Help on Confessions of a Fabric Addict.
But I am donating this for Healing Hearts which is an organization my husband volunteers for which has 2 seasons of 13 week meetings with kids and their families who have deceased or incarcerated members. This is for their fundraiser in 3 weeks. 

Here is a photo of part of the pattern with the layout. Sorry, my printer streaked. 

These are the colors I am using.  I did a rainbow heart quilt last year as well and it made 150 Dollars. Wow!



Here is the start of the half square trianges.


And I love how all the trimmed sections made such a colorful pile. 


And here is the layout so far.  As I only used squares not the 2 blocks together on the triangle paper, I came up short.  So I have a 2nd pack to start on. 
Then I ordered more charm packs for the borders as I have increased by blocks to 4 inches ( from the 1 or 3 inch ones in the pattern).  I plan to make it lap size. 






 

4 comments:

  1. that last quilt you show sure is colorful! neat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delightful post. I love the quilt on your design wall. Your hubby did an awesome job on the ironing board. I need to put this project on my hubbys "honey do list' .lol Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much great info! I also decided to try the language button. Trying out some new words along with new quilt ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete