Sunday, August 4, 2019

August has begun

Well, two big things are crossed off my summer list:

First, my husband has completed the radiation ( Cyber knife treatments) . He is doing well physically and has almost gotten back to eating all his regular foods as he was on a low fiber diet: the purpose was to have better imaging of the lower torso region during the radiation. He has lost some weight, but he has kept very active.

Second, we spent the week packing for my son as he has left the state for Louisiana. We helped him pack up the house with all that goes in it from his wife and kids and himself.  A huge 26 foot Uhaul. The boys and his wife have been down there for a month. All that is left is to clean up the empty house. I already miss them terribly.

The last thing I should do from this past 4 month life changes is to visit my mom in the nursing home. Her Alzheimer's took a toll and she was no longer able to live at home.  I need to get ready to take the 800 mile drive each way to Canada.

So August is here and I need to get to my projects.

My husband and I took a trip to see the Tall Ships in Kenosha, WI.  Fascinating recreations or remodels of old schooners. There were 5 ships to tour: one from Baltimore, 2 from Nova Scotia, One from Milwaukee ( which we have sailed on), and one from Michigan.  Plus there were 2 other small ships for taking short trips on.



 There was food, and music and assorted other things to buy.  But it was a beautiful day to be in the sun and by the water. I envied the little sailing boats whipping around in the bay.  I miss the days when I did.


A little sewing has been done. 
I finally completed the top for Kim Diehl's Mystery: the blocks were from her Simple Friendships 2
book. But the arrangement was the quilt along with separate directions for it. The blocks were all from her ( and Jo Morton)'s book most having at least 2 sizes of blocks. 
These are all small blocks 3, 4, 5 and 6 inches big. 
Finished quilt size: 17½" × 20½"  I have to put on borders and corner stones. 
The directions for the final mini quilt are here
It was certainly a lesson on color and a very important seam allowance.




5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Kenosha has tall ships to tour are they always there? I'm not sure if we are going to WI this year our daughter visited us in April and we are going to Montana this fall, I think WI will wait for next year. Wow 800 miles to your mom - that is a drive but sounds like you might want to go now while she might still remember you well - as her medical condition is so sad - I managed to visit my aunt last year before she died and with her Alzheimer's I wasnt' sure if she knew who I was or not at times she seemed to know who I was but yet she had this vacant look on her face most of the time like she was pretending to know me. If must be so hard for people with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tall Ships come once every 3 years for a weekend; however, this is the home harbor for the Appledore. And Milwaukee has the Denis Sullivan.

      Delete
  2. Yes you will miss your son and grand kids. I am sorry for you that you Mother has Alzheimer's. Mine started with it when she was 72 and passed away at 84. My parents were in mid and late 30's when I was born so I went through a lot of what you are experiencing when I was in my 40's and working. Very tough going!

    Great trip to visit the ships and water! I love the water because it can be peaceful just sitting by a pond, river, or the Gulf!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your trip to Canada works out. Will you fly? (Thinking about your husband and if long drives are tolerable.) I wish I'd known about the tall ships -- we are just eight miles south of Kenosha and we had a free weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your husband is finished with his treatments and is feeling almost back to normal. Safe travels as you travel to Canada. It's so hard when our children move far away, especially when they take the grandchildren. Love your mini!

    ReplyDelete