Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Take a little trip


Image result for schoolSchool started on Tuesday.  And it was mixed blessings. I teach a group of middle/high school kids sporadically all day in a class called guided study. These kids are chosen based on their struggles in classes. They are not in special education, although I am licensed in regular and special education. To me, it is all about the kids and helping them make decisions and then deal with their consequences.  I do think that hard knocks are what define you and what make you think.

I really do love my job.




Having been in education about 40 years, I feel it has been my calling and my heritage as I am a 5th generation teacher.  I do very much care about my kids ,and I  express my opinions and values, and hope to make a difference in their lives.

And I know that it is my last full year.  I am getting tired of getting up and going every day. It is time for me to do other things. So I plan to retire at the end of the year, but substitute for a while the following year ( to cover the health insurance we so greatly need until Medicare).

So it has been a time for looking back and forward. God has given me a lot to enjoy as a teacher. And as in all things, there are good times and others not so great. But always there have been kids and staff and parents and we NEED each other.

Last week was returning for meetings, a different classroom to set up, and all the organization and materials to get things started. It was the first time that I have not been truly excited about returning... maybe because of all that occurred this past summer.

So I am back, and now thoroughly involved and working hard to improve these kiddos and make this a great year.

And fortunately, my husband and I did take our weekend to Door County in Wisconsin. We love, love, love the lake and the sunsets and the walks and the food. We have a great bed and breakfast we have been back to for at least 6 years. The weather was definitely cooler than years past, but we had a wonderful time.  ( Also visited 2 quilt shops.)

Here we are by the water...notice the long sleeves and jeans. 

This is one of those gorgeous sunsets by the marina.

After returning, I did get a little sewing going. I am prepping my last blocks of Henrietta and her pumpkins, just 2 of them.

Then some sawtooth star blocks for our mini raffle quilt for guild. I have 4 more to make tonight. They are cut out and the half square triangles made. These are 8 inch blocks.




2 comments:

  1. sounds like you are ready to retire it is nice to do so while you can still enjoy life. I'm glad to see your husband looks well and you both look happy. I would love to stay at a Bed and Breakfast sometime but it isn't something hubby thinks he would like for some reason - Door County is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love retirement. Sounds like you are ready!
    We have been retired 20 years - retired at age 55 after working 38 years. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete