Friday, March 20, 2020

Coronovirus schooling

My new teaching station is the end of a couch.  Why because the only table and chairs I like are the ones   I sit cross legged on the couch. It is the teacher in me or just my cold small stature. So the end of the couch it is....at least until I formulate something different. 

I have a box of student folders where I keep track of grades weekly as well as work they need to do.  These I already have been using all year, just brought them home and placed in one box.   I have 3 stacks of think heavy books, these are mostly for me as I am old fashioned and can page through a text book faster in my hands.  I use both my school computer and home laptop. 

We are doing google hangouts already ( our classes start Monday and this week has been planning for that.) But as I am a support teacher, I communicated all missing work to be done this week as a way for them to "catch up".  But not all are taking advantage of that.

So I have worked with about 8-10 kids already. 

I visited school today to get  the textbooks. I was surprised at how emotional  I felt back in my classroom without students. There were a few staff members: mostly administration, office people and custodians. Very eerie. But very sad. Some districts are talking about no school in the buildings for the rest of the year.  While some days are kind of crazy. I don't want the year to end like this.

3 comments:

  1. it is sad that the kids aren't in the classrooms and among their friends -- my daughter is a children's librarian and she is doing Facebook live story times!! never thought I'd see it and she is beginning to be more comfortable in front of the camera each day she does it. New ways to learn how to do your job

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an addendum, my daughter is one of the many thousands who has COVID 19 and is quarantined in Milwaukee. My mother in Canada, is in a nursing home who has 3 cases and she is not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete