Sunday, March 8, 2020

Goosey top



I worked hard at getting this all together  today.  I spent the day getting the last blocks conncected, ironed, and trimmed all the loose threads and leftover corners of paper on the back side. And then it needed a really good pressing and adjustments of a few intersections. 

O.k., correction. I did not trim every single thread on the back. At guild recently a long arm quilter, suggested that it needed to be done to prepare for long arming.   Who sees the back?   
Do you trim all your threads on the back?


Currently it is 39 by 39 inches. After staring at it tonight and even getting it ready for a thin border of white, I have decided to add  a thin border of blue followed by a larger border of white. 




Here is a singular block. And yes, they were paper pieced. 


6 comments:

  1. It is great. I'm sure borders as described will be great with it. Regarding threads on the back -- you have a lot of white and light colored fabric on the front. If you used a dark thread it will show through on the front side. And, even if you didn't use dark thread, any bits of dark fabric that might unravel in the handling will show through on the white and ruin the overall appearance of the quilt. Unfortunately, long armers don't have time to cut all those off before quilting. I will try to snip big ones if I notice them before loading the quilt. White thread doesn't usually show through dark fabric, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only occasionally trim my threads on the back before I put it on my quilting frame. sometimes the dark threads will show through if you have a very light back ground fabric, sometimes I can pick them out from the front with a needle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks great. Before my Juki with a thread cutter I never paid much attention to how long or short the threads were.I think they recommend trimming them so they don't show through on the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are gorgeous! The longarmer is telling quilters to trim those threads as a disclaimer, IMO. If there was a long navy thread trailing behind your white sashing, for instance, it might show through on the finished quilt and you might be mad at the long armer about it. By telling piecers to trim the threads before giving their tops to the longarmer, the responsibility for loose threads showing through is on the piecer. If it would bother you to see a navy thread showing behind white sashing, you would take the time to trim all those loose threads so it doesn't happen. If you don't feel like trimming loose threads, you agree to live with any of them showing through on the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt looks fabulous especially from the thumbnail in the linky party!

    ReplyDelete