Monday, August 23, 2021

Something new!

 No, not a new purchase.   ( I have visited a few quilt shops this summer though.)  I have the beginning of a new project to show. 

I have been sewing away at it for a couple of weeks.  ( This was the project that I was cutting/trimming on when I sliced my fingernail. No fabrics were injured or dripped with blood while the injury happened.)

The pattern is called Bitcoin by Bonnie Hunter.  Bitcoin pattern



 Kathy of Kathy's quilts in Canada who showed the  beginnings of her RSC project where she was using the July color of purple for a few rows.  I checked it out and fell in love with it for all my scrappiness accumulating.  Kathy has also added more for August and I think it will be a very colorful quilt. 

These are the start of my new addiction using strips I had hanging around.  I am not much of an organized scrap girl.  I feel I don't ever really know pattern or size I am looking for.  So I save my pieces in whatever size they are. 



After I got into a system of sewing groups together and going to the ironing and cutting board in stages, I produced quite a few. I enjoyed the randomness and would go scout out more colors to add. Of course, I needed to cut the strips and the fabric piles grew. 

But I pulled out a plastic shoebox and started stacking them as I kept going.  

Here are what they look like on end. 



This is how my arrangement looks at the present time to give you an idea of how the pattern goes.
Mind you, I am not a brights girl. These are more of my country pallet of colors.  I have thrown in some pinks and purples to add pizzazz and made sure to vary with lighter colors and darker ones.  I try to assemble strips for the contrast, not the color combinations. 


I have not decided how big to make it. The box above are more than what is laid out, so I have quite a few done. 


I did also finish up another set of my curved log cabins for RSC for August. 


The rest are some inspiration from our quilts at the Wisconsin State Fair. They hang all the large ones from the ceiling. Two of these are from my guild in a nice air conditioned building with the flowers are bakery are other needlework treasures and photos. 











2 comments:

  1. that first quilt sure uses up a lot of scraps! how is the finger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not seen the Bitcoin quilt, but it's so fun! I like the pops of color in yours, too. Love your curved log cabin block.

    ReplyDelete