Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Wonderful World of Color

 First I would like to say thanks to Joan of Moosestash Quilting for hosting this blog hop and allowing me to participate.   

Color, color, color.  As quilters, we can't get enough of it.  And while color for dye in fabric is much different than color for paint, we love it just the same.  


Now The Quilt Show has been doing a Saturday Sampler of color by Dee Christopher. And it is not just color theory of how the color wheel works.( I love how good she is at piecing and having such wonderful methods to teach.) And the one thing I learned very quickly from her is that we all have a color preference. And of course that preference influences our choice of fabric for making quilts. 

There are different styles of fabric from batiks to reproductions, seasonal, and interests such as dinsosaurs or gardening. And then different styles to compliment or use those fabrics with large prints, backgrounds, and more

Generally,  I like more muted tones to quilt with for around my home. This is an example of a scrap quilt using these tones of color.  It was from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge of 2017.


But this is about COLOR.  

And I do love to use color for holidays, and well, my daughter and daughter in law. 
Some of my recent quilts from last year highlight those values: 
This was a combination of bright beautiful batiks. 



This was a great bundle of Tula Pink mixed with some Kaffe Fassett and a bright orange print 

                                  

And each of the past 2 years, I have made a bright quilt for donation to  Healing Hearts, an organization which works with grief in families. And I love making something very bright and happy. 






And this year is no different,  And instead of a white background, I am using a grayish grunge background. The charm packs I chose for this are from Laurel Burch and another one, yet to find the name. 

Anyway wonderfully bright colors and prints. 

Here it is as I laid out the center.  


The book has many patterns in it by Melissa Corry using charm packs.  Normally, I don't buy books, but I saw a few others I want to do to use up some fabric hanging around. 


And the big finish!  Well the top anyway.  I hope to get it quilted this week. 
Size at this point about 48 inches square. 
The colors aren't as bright as in person being it is an evening photo session and we have SNOW outside.


Another view from a different angle. 


Some pointers for this construction

1) Pin at the seam with the allowances "nesting" or going in opposite directions.
I did use Best Press to press my fabrics as there were LOTS of half square triangles.
Then pin prior to the seam.  It keeps it from shifting.



2.I prefer to web my blocks together, by putting them in rows and chain sewing each row together. 
Then as you can see below press each column/row in one direction and the next row in the opposite direction.


Don't forget to check out the other bloggers each day.

My cohorts for today are: 


















30 comments:

  1. All of the quilts are beautiful! I absolutely LOVE the heart quilts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using HSTs to create something fun, and your quilt fulfills both of these requirements. I think it would be fun using smaller HST's as well. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your star quilt is wonderful! Love the bright colors and the design. HST's are so fun and versatile to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are all wonderful and the star quilt is stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great scrappy star! The other quilts you shared are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots of color going on! they are all beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVED looking through your quilts and seeing the different colors and styles. Your star quilt really puts the "P" in Pizazz! What a gorgeous explosion of color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love seeing all your colorful quilts! The one you are working on now is gorgeous, and it looks pretty bright to me! Thanks for adding extra cheer to the morning with your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many gorgeous and colorful quilts in this post...love it! The star quilt is incredible and something I couldn't even begin to put together. You rocked the color challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, Wow!!! Love them all, but am especially fond of the 2nd one. Love that bright blue, it speaks to me. Beautiful work.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful scrappy, colorful quilts! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO many colorful quilts on your blog...where to begin??? I really do love the work in progress one that you are showing at the end of the post, but each of the quilts are perfect in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing these colorful projects. I love them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt top is beautiful! I have this book, however, I have not made this quilt yet. Will have to peruse it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of gorgeous colourful projects there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing all the beautiful eye candy! I do like your last quilt! Very nice & colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the quilts are such fun to see, but I love the final quilt with all that bold, pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots of great colourful quilts, but this years top is definitely my favourite. Do you have a plan for quilting it?
    I also have had snow in the last couple of days :O

    ReplyDelete
  19. Color, yes! Love those colorful bright quilts. Your new quilt top is lovely eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many gorgeous quilts, and I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilts! My favourite quilt is the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  22. so much eye candy, the top one is great! I love them all though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and colorful quilts! I love the bright colors too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty quilts. Aren't color theory classes and posts awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all your quilts, but the final one is really my favorite! So colorful and pretty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are some colorful and amazing projects. Thanks for the tips on putting the star together. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning quilts. They are all lovely. I love how the triangles give the heart quilt some extra texture. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Goodness these are some seriously happy and bright quilt. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So many fabulous projects! Each one is so colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a bright, happy quilt. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete