Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Little Pieces

 For the first in a few weeks, this is not a finishing week for quilts.  It does feel so good to get 2 quilts off to the quilter though.   I just need to get to quilting my smaller tops. 

I am working on my paper pieced borders for all the 9 patches that were made:



In the meantime, I have started a medallion quilt for the spring quilt show.  This is my 1 dollar find at a book sale. 


And an awesome Jen Kingwell pattern. 


So for the piecing I am working on: 

These are 4 1/2 inch blocks with hand appliqued orange peels.

And these are 3 1/2 inch churn dashes. I make 2 at a time with the colors reversed as I use the 8 at a time half square triangle method. 


Funny how little blocks take as much time as big ones. 

It has been a messy week with family and such.  My mother's husband in Canada has regressed so and is frustrated and angry taking it out on everyone especially now that he has moved into a nursing home himself. But he is preventing Mom from moving here to be with us. He is 2 hours away from her , himself leaving her behind. 

And to top it off, we were cat sitting for our daughter's talking cat whom we have had here regularly. And this weekend, she went downhill fast and we had to have her euthanized. She was 15 years old and probably had cancer.  Oh, the tears! 


4 comments:

  1. can he legally keep her in Canada? I would think for health reasons she could move closer to you as he isn't taking care of her? I have the Midnight at the Oasis pattern for two years now and have not started it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your messiness. Thankfully you have this beautiful quilt you are working on to bring you some joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agh! What a week. Sorry about the cat. It's got to be hard for an animal to die while your cat sitting. Sorry there is family drama going on. On the other hand, I like your new quilt. Smart to use the 8 at a time and make two blocks at a time. And, yes, small blocks take just as long as big blocks to make! I used to make 4.5" blocks a lot. Now I'm all into easy -- bigger pieces = bigger blocks = faster quilt tops being made. A win-win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the tough week. But your blocks add a bit of cheer and something to look forward to! Very colorful and pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete