Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Hourglass blocks

I am so pleased to be included in the Blog hop  by Carol Swift of Just Let Me Quilt.  I made 400 of these little blocks for a pattern.  And that is where the blocks sat. 


.  Now these blocks are 3 inches at this point and I kept making 10 matching blocks at a time. 


There is a pattern by Temecula Quilts and a quilt along from last year (Timeless Tidbits). And in case you couldn't tell, they are reproduction fabrics. I hope that doesn't turn you off to the process. 

Now, I have made these blocks before. And I will share my copied technique with you in case you want a  method to try.  Here is a video showing Pat Sloan making these blocks. ( I would rather you see it from an expert than have me recreate the process.)

 Pat Sloan making hourglass blocks.

Pat Sloan video on how to make the block.  from 8:34 to 12:46 shows how she  make them from half square triangles.

Here are piles of 10 prior to being trimmed with a ruler ( Cutting 5 squares of each color.)


This is the top I ended up making.   Colors not quite true to life.


So I am going to assume you understand that part and have or will see them from other bloggers. 

Instead I will show you some tricks I used to get my hourglass blocks together. My blocks are smaller. But I have found it is actually easier to work on smaller blocks. And then transfer the skill to larger ones. 

Here is a picture  showing how I carefully match the seams and pin them directly through one the center of both seams. It is very important to have both seam allowances going opposite directions. I will actually squeeze and wiggle  them together to "nest" them and make sure they the seams touch each other.  No gaps.

  

Then with the center point pinned straight down. I pin the seam allowances to the left through all the layers. The prevents them from shifting. 

I do remove the vertical pin when sewing. And I do keep pins in. But I also will sew on the machine slowly allowing the needle to slide one way or the other when it comes to the pin.  

I will also continue to squeeze the seams  together as I sew to keep the lengths of the blocks together prior to the ends of the blocks. 

Additionally, while pinning blocks I will try to have my intersections having the triangle corners align having the seam allowances facing opposite.  But you can't always get that. Some just have to be stacked on top of each other. 

I am not going to say this works 100 percent of the time. And I do frog the stitches and rip it, rip it, rip it. 

I also have some tricks for pressing seams. I assembled the quilt in blocks. 
First I would match pairs vertically, then twos to twos and so on until I got the width. ( mine was 10 blocks long)



Then prior to sewing I ironed each horizontal row one direction.
The first row is pressed to the left.
The second row is pressed to the right. And so forth down the rows. 
That way all the seam allowances are the same making the nesting  a little easier.


Here is shows pressing of the long rows OPEN.  There are just tooooo many layers of fabric in the corners. Think of it. 8 layers.  Ugh.  
Underneath the row is a tool called a Strip Stick. It is a padded area on top of a flat small like ruler stick that helps the seams to open and the underneath ( front side ) falls down a little. You press on top of it down the row.
And then move down the row. You can buy a long or short version. 


Then I repeatedly press on both sides, making sure to hopefully get the fabric as smooth as possible. 

                                                

  What else can you  do with these fabulous blocks?

Hourglass blocks make great setting blocks.  These are 2 color 5 inch blocks.


And since I only have 250 of my hourglass blocks left to play with from my original plan,  here is my next project with them.       4 blocks went together much easier. 


This block is in Pat Sloan's Sweet Dreams quilt along on Wednesdays ( a free block each Wednesday) 

Mine is so pretty in spring colors and each hourglass is only 3 inches finished.
No corners to match the diagonal lines. 



Other Hourglass bloggers today:




Beaquilter

Quilting Gail


And of course, our hostess:  Just Let Me Quilt  






27 comments:

  1. So many hourglasses - so many ideas! Your post is full of inspiration and the top you made is lovely. Seam nesting is one of my favourite tricks too. I haven't seen a seam stick before but I imagine one would be really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, but you have cornered the market on hourglass blocks, and some great ideas for using them. Great fun here today. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow there are a lot of hourglass blocks in that quilt! It looks wonderful and so do those others that your showed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt looks great! That is a lot of hourglass blocks in it, great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt! Thanks for the tips on joining the blocks too. Your other projects are all lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely quilt! I have one of those sticks for pressing seams open, and it is a great help. Good luck using the rest of those hourglass blocks, and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great ideas for using hourglass blocks. Your quilt is amazing, and I love all the colors. Never heard of the strip stick but I like it! Pressing seams open is my least favorite step in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing what you can create with one block. Your quilt top is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. Your projects are all so inspirational, but having the tips and tricks you use is invaluable. Thanks for sharing that with us! Now I want to make a little mini with stars in it like yours! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tips and tricks! I hadn't seen the pressing stick before, and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips! Glad you were able to pull out some orphaned blocks to use on this wonderful quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is lovely! Thanks for all the extra tips too! I like to press seams open from time to time, I going to check out that Strip Stick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing all your projects. I really love the yellow borders in the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many fun colors in your hourglass blocks and I love how they all went together to create a beautiful quilt. Nice job on getting those seams to match! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great use of hourglass blocks many ways. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hourglass blocks are so versatile, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All beautiful hourglass projects. I really like the yellow in you Temecula one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these look wonderful and all so different

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty. I had to take a double take on one because it looks exactly like some cheater fabric I had from many years ago that I used to cover my ironing board.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, lots of little blocks. Your quilts look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How different each block looks in the variety of colourways.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful projects, so many of them and a great tutorial. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! You've been busy. I see in your next post you got it quilted. It turned out wonderfully. Thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt has a LOT of tiny hourglass blocks! And it's a great finish! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, lots of gorgeous hour glass blocks! You have been busy! Looks fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, looks great, lots of wonderful color.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all of your work and tips for hour glass blocks. Your quilted feathers are a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete