Thursday, July 5, 2018

Shipshewana shopping

After the shower last week, I took a detour on the way home to Shipshewana, Indiana on the way home from Warsaw.Yes, it was a week after there big quilt show, but I didn't have the crowds. 

It was good to see the Amish again; I grew up 20 miles from a group in Ohio. So I was always aware of their farms as we passed them on the way to my Grandmother's house. We visited their  local shop that had all their farm and home supplies. And we passed their buggies and purchased their home baked goods. 

This group was dressed in oranges, yellows and reds: in Ohio and Wisconsin I see more blues, greens, and purples.  And the local highways had a lane specifically for them.Driving beside them was rather scary  when you had to pass them for me. Many of the buggies were preceded or were followed by individuals on bicycles with vests like construction crews wear in neon colors and reflecting tape. 

But I knew about Yoder's Department storewhich still has many of their staples like cast iron skillets, and horse harnesses, and undershirts, etc. We, "English" can buy their goods as well and I found some wonderful treasures like Coke tins and lunchboxes, toys for the grandkids, and of course, fabric. 

It was large and had 2 sides: one for the clothing and fabric and the other for house goods, and hardware, and more. I didn't even walk the whole stores. Plus there was a small front store with African crafts such as beadwork, baskets and clothing in their bright colors, inexpensive and just beautiful. 

Here is the side of the building:  love the barn quilts.



Next door was another quilt shop that I also located some great background fabric for a quilt for my brother and his wife. 

It was a great diversion. I even ate a a pretzel shop that had a hot dog wrapped with cheese and pretzel dough and had "buggy bites" on the side which were little soft cuts of their pretzels. Yumm.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this post on Shipshewana one day I would love to stop there and see Yoder's I have heard so many mention it and other stores in the area.

    ReplyDelete