Sunday, January 9, 2022

Back to sewing.

 I always like January.  The Christmas sewing pressure is done and it's time to start and finish projects.    I am really motivated this year.  

So things I have started:  

This is my 5th year of doing the quilt along from Corrine et Cecile of France.  The challenge this year is a sampler quilt with half appliqued blocks and half pieced blocks.  My take on that will be 8 appliqued and embroidered gnomes with 8 different pieced trees latticed by a great Christmas print from Hustle and Bustle. 


           


I also decided to attack some projects just hanging around.  This summer I purchased at the guild's rummage sale some prepackaged blocks. These BOMS are from Quilts Plus, the first shop I ever went to in Indianapolis; it is still open. The fabrics are reproductions. 

 I love the colors of the first block and I love piecing smaller blocks. I feel it forces me to be precise in the piecing of the blocks. The hardest part was getting the right print for the right cutting directions ( there were 7 different ones). And I did make a mistake in cutting and had to substitute one of my own. 

I also want to complete a couple things for my daughter's birthday in a week.  I pieced and quilted a bright colorful table runner for her new table.  So cheerful and so easy: it is a border print. . After beginning to attach the binding, I realized I needed to miter the corners better for the 120 degree angles.  So I took them off and have a plan. 


It is tough to see in this picture, but I did free motion quilt the words and around all the cakes and candles. 

Lastly I can say I have officially finished the binding on my 30s hearts for Mom quilt.  In my conclusion for 2021, I had it listed. But that was all the piecing, borders, and quilting. All I had to do was attach the binding by machine and hand sew it. It took several evenings in front of the tv.     



6 comments:

  1. Great projects, but I especially love, love, love your gnome. I have had a thing for gnomes the past year! I will look forward to seeing this progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxious to see your gnome's as that project get's rolling. So many nice quilts and pretty prints you have to work with. Time to enjoy your projects without the pressure sounds very nice indeed.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to get the binding done - that does take awhile sometimes doesn't it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fabulous projects. Great find on the prepackaged BOM's . Adore your heart quilt. Have a fabulous week and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun Happy Birthday table runner, sure to bring happy smiles all round! And I do like your pretty heart quilt, lots of work in that with all the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing you gnome and tree blocks. The fabrics are so pretty! What a fun table runner for your daughter!! Perfect for birthday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete